Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy Advent

There's something about Advent. It's been my favourite liturgical season for as long as I've been Catholic. Though my faith in Catholicism is waning, the start of this season does make me pause and reflect.

Advent takes place, in the Western hemisphere, at the point of the year when it's dark outside a great percentage of the time. It also coincides with what is, for students, that perpetually busy point of the year, when papers are due, exams are imminent, and life! is! insane! 

It's a reminder to slow down, to take moments to be quiet and realize what a tremendous gift we've been given, simply in being. 

Sometimes life is shrouded in darkness. Wars are fought - amongst nations, amongst communities, amongst families, in our own hearts. Violence, in its many forms, occurs everywhere. Hearts break. Traumatic events occur. It's easy to look at the world, and simply see pain and brokenness and conflict and human stupidity on a mass scale. 

As I prepare for Christmas, and think of Advent, I can't help but feel that little rush of hope I get every year on this first Sunday. That light can come, and bring peace to those wars that we fight amongst others and within ourselves, to those traumas we're trying to heal from, to the hurt we're trying to remedy.

Darkness is not everlasting. 

Happy Advent, everyone. May this be a time of beauty and peace and light in all of your lives! 

No comments:

Post a Comment