Lately in theory class we've been looking at Steve Reich's influence on rhythm. A group of profs performed one of Reich's newer pieces, 2x5, at concert credit today, and it really made me stop and think.*
As someone who is planning to/beginning to specialize in music that was written hundreds of years ago (but which, I hasten to add, still has so much to teach us!) it is refreshing to be a student at a school which forces me to engage with what music currently is. What is currently happening in western art music? What are the current innovations, what is currently being composed - and why is this specific kind of music happening at this particular time?
Another thought: I feel truly, truly lucky to be learning about music at a school which so widely seems to believe in making the creative and artistic processes as transparent as possible. It's inspiring to be surrounded by people who are so excited about music, and who are so excited about sharing their processes with us, so we in turn can learn, and create.
I am lucky to be here.
*I might add that the performance was fantastic, and my head is still reeling from the rhythmic complexity and general all-around awesomeness!
No comments:
Post a Comment